James S. Wilber
Have a question? Ask me.
James Wilber is a principal of Altman Weil, Inc. He leads consulting projects in organization, practice management, lawyer professional development, paralegal issues and programs, compensation, and law firm executive searches. Mr. Wilber heads Altman Weil's services to corporate and government law departments.
Prior to joining Altman Weil, Mr. Wilber practiced law and managed law offices for 14 years. His law office management experience is extensive: as a managing attorney in both the public and private sectors, he was responsible for the hiring, training, supervision and development of lawyers, paralegals and law office managers.
Mr. Wilber has written and lectured extensively on management issues in the legal profession. He has served as the editor of the Report To Legal Management and the Management and Technology Committee newsletter of the International Bar Association (and was a former officer of that committee). Mr. Wilber has been published or quoted in numerous publications, including the ABA Journal, The American Lawyer, National Law Journal, Corporate Counsel, and the journals of many state bar associations.
He is a Fellow of the College of Law Practice Management and is active in the Association of Corporate Counsel.
EducationMr. Wilber has a bachelor’s degree from The University of Michigan and a master’s degree in English Literature. He is a cum laude graduate of the inaugural class of the Southern Illinois University School of Law, having served as Notes and Comments Editor of the law review. He is licensed to practice law in, and is a member of the state bars of Illinois, Pennsylvania and Michigan. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Community Service / Outside ActivitiesMr. Wilber is an officer and member of his church Board of Trustees. He serves on the Boards of several legal aid organizations.
Download a printer-friendly version of this page
Practices & Services
- Law Department Structure and Performance
- Law Department Cost Control
- Outside Counsel Management
- Law Department Client Service and Satisfaction
- Managing the Global Law Department
- Alternative Fee Arrangements
- Government Legal Offices
- Executive Search Services
- Paralegals and Paralegal Programs
- Best Practices in Law Firm Administration and Administrators: Ten Things that Make a Great Law Firm Administrator
- Five Techniques for Selecting and Managing Outside Counsel Without Upsetting the Applecart
- Ten Tips for Leading Lawyers