New Report: Ten Years of Law Firm Mergers and Acquisitions
Newtown Square, PA, March 14, 2017 — Legal management consultancy, Altman Weil, Inc. has released a new report, Ten Years of Law Firm Mergers and Acquisitions, a comprehensive statistical look at US law firm combinations from 2007 to 2016. The data are derived from Altman Weil MergerLine, an online service that has systematically tracked the US merger market since 2007.
The report features a ten year retrospective on market activity, lists the 25 largest deals of the decade, profiles the ten most active state markets, and includes special sections on cross-border combinations, the acquisitions of AmLaw 200 law firms, and the most active deal-makers.
Key facts from the report:
- There were 688 total law firm combinations between 2007 and 2016
- 43% of all US acquisitions were in five states: California, New York, Texas, Florida and Illinois
- 78% of all deals were acquisitions of small firms with 2-20 lawyers
- AmLaw 200 firms made 36% of all acquisitions, and 95% of international acquisitions
- The city most frequently targeted was New York City, followed by Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston and Washington, DC.
The complete report is available online at www.altmanweil.com/AWML10.
About Altman Weil MergerLine™
Altman Weil MergerLine™ logs law firm combinations as they are reported by media outlets and in press releases; links the user to the original news stories; and, compiles key statistics on each deal. The online service also includes an archive of past mergers and a section of commentary and analysis. Learn more at www.altmanweil.com/MergerLine.
About Altman Weil
Founded in 1970, Altman Weil, Inc. is dedicated exclusively to the legal profession. It provides management consulting services to law firms, law departments and legal vendors worldwide. The firm is independently owned by its professional consultants, who have backgrounds in law, industry, finance, marketing, administration and government. More information on Altman Weil can be found at www.altmanweil.com.