Excellence in Law Firm Leadership
June 7, 2017 - Philadelphia
Hundreds of law firm Managing Partners, Chairs and other key leaders have attended Altman Weil’s Excellence in Law Firm Leadership roundtable since its inception in 2001. The program is consistently praised for its “superb practical advice” based on “boots on the ground experience” that provides law firm leaders with “a framework for action.”
Excellence in Law Firm Leadership is designed for law firm leaders who are responsible for successfully guiding their firms through current market challenges. The intensive, one-day program draws on examples from some of the most successful law firms in the world to illustrate critical leadership lessons. It also provides a rare opportunity for law firm leaders to discuss their shared experiences in one of the most demanding and complex roles a lawyer can take on in his or her career.
New Leadership Roles in a Rapidly Changing Marketplace
This session looks at key legal market drivers in 2017, and sets forth how to lead your firm’s evolution to a new, more competitive business model.
- Identifying strategic opportunities in the current market
- Proactively managing all elements of the business model
- Achieving a client-centric operating mode
- Differentiation: Clarifying your competitive profile
- Dealing with disruptors: Commoditization; technology, new competitors
Overcapacity: A Critical Leadership Challenge
This session discusses how to lead your firm toward a more agile and effective model of people, practices and technology.
- Assessing the costs of overcapacity in your firm
- Considering the role of non-equity partners
- Getting and using objective data on work volume
- Rebalancing your workforce in the short term
- Becoming a more adaptive law firm
Compensation Decision Making 2017
This session addresses the foundational elements necessary to make highly-effective compensation decisions that are aligned with your law firm’s strategic goals.
- Best practices: Making consistent, high-quality decisions
- Recognizing profitability contributions in pay
- Compensating laterals and non-equity partners
- Designing comp alternatives for retiring partners
- Maintaining the right balance of objective and subjective metrics
Managing and Leading a Law Firm: The Essential Skill Set
This session is designed to give both new and experienced law firm leaders a concise overview of how to set the right priorities, operate consistently at a strategic level and effectively achieve key goals.
- Leading change in a time of rapid and unprecedented transition
- Maintaining a strategic perspective
- Setting priorities and achieving them
- Meeting the unique leadership challenges of law firms
- Increasing accountability — top to bottom
The program is presented by Altman Weil consultants Tom Clay and Jim Cotterman who bring an exceptional level of insight and experience to law firm leadership challenges. With decades of experience advising hundreds of law firms, they have seen effective leadership in action and know the common denominators of success.
Attendance is limited to the first 20 registrants to preserve the interactive quality of the seminar.
Practices & Services
- Law Firm Finance
- Leadership Development & Performance Management
- Training Programs
Comments from Seminar Attendees
"I came away excited and energized to apply what I learned to the management of my firm."
"Superb practical advice and suggestions for Managing Partners."