Altman Weil provides management consulting services exclusively to legal organizations. Our clients include law firms, corporate and non-profit law departments and government legal offices. As the first management consultancy formed for the exclusive purpose of working with legal organizations, we offer a broad range of consulting services backed by over fifty years of experience in the industry.
Altman Weil consultants bring a deep knowledge of how legal organizations work and decades of in-the-trenches experience working with lawyers to solve problems, enhance performance and improve profitability. We do not propose pre-packaged solutions, nor do we practice ‘one-size-fits-all’ consulting. Our expertise enables us to maintain a sharp focus on key success factors, sound, bottom-line management and innovative service strategies in today’s highly competitive legal market.
Founded in Philadelphia in 1970, the firm has been a thought leader on organization, business and strategy issues related to effective and efficient management of law firms and law departments. Altman Weil consultants regularly publish articles in the legal press, and our comments on the legal scene appear in major business publications throughout the world.
A Trusted Resource
Whether you need counsel on strategy, management and governance, profitability, growth, succession or an array of other issues, Altman Weil has the knowledge and experience to help your organization thrive.
- Over fifty years of consulting experience exclusively to the legal profession
- Highly experienced consultants, each with decades of experience working with legal organizations; unlike other consulting organizations whose senior consultants sell the projects but do little of the work, our principals work closely with clients from start to finish; we do not employ junior consultants who are learning the trade
- Our consultants have worked with more than 1,000 law firms and law departments on nearly every imaginable management issue
- The breadth and depth of expertise of Altman Weil consultants, who are seasoned lawyers, financial experts, marketing practitioners and business professionals
- Extensive experience across the entire legal profession through consultants who serve both law firms and corporate law departments and understand the dynamics of each, and the inter-relationship between them
- The innovative thinking and acute insights of independent advisors
- Substantial experience with traditional methodologies of consulting, such as interviewing and document review, as well as innovative methodologies suited to the needs of particular projects, such as surveys and data analytics
- A deep affinity to metrics and quantification, along with graphical presentations that show the numbers – benchmarks, trends, counts, statistics – clearly and meaningfully
- The ability to develop practical, workable methodologies for complex projects
- An understanding of how to motivate and initiate change in legal organizations comprised of highly-intelligent and often-skeptical individuals
Our Commitment to Client Confidentiality
Altman Weil prides itself on the protection of confidential client information. Although courts do not recognize consultant/client privilege, we generally handle such information consistently with provisions of Rule 1.6(a) of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct of the ABA.
We consider confidential information to be any information provided by the client organization not generally available in public sources such as directories, websites, legal and business press. It includes detailed financial and earnings data, economic or financial plans, client identities, partnership agreement provisions, organization charts, business and marketing strategies, training materials and techniques, and other documents, information and materials not generally in the public domain.
Altman Weil clients can speak candidly to us about all aspects of their business, secure in the knowledge that what they say will remain confidential. We are happy to sign non-disclosure agreements of our clients’ drafting.