ON-DEMAND: Choose 4 weeks of access for the entire firm – and start viewing sessions the day you register.
Session 1 – Being a Highly-Effective Practice Group Leader (90 minutes)
Session 2 – Fast-Tracking Practice Group Planning and Execution (90 minutes)
Session 3 – Putting Clients at the Center of Your Strategy (90 minutes)
Practice Groups are where law firms compete most effectively. Each group is a business unit with its own unique market, competitors, clients, pricing and capability profiles – and each must have its own unique strategy to excel. Successful practice group leaders must make strategic choices about pricing, staffing, efficiency and service, and have a keen ear for what clients want.
Altman Weil’s Creating Great Practice Groups is the definitive training program for law firm practice group leaders. The three-part series will train your group leaders to operate consistently at a strategic level, lead an effective, results-driven planning process, acquire, retain and grow profitable business and build a high-performance group.
Registrants will receive worksheets, checklists, templates and analytical tools to supplement training sessions.
Session 1. Being a Highly-Effective Practice Group Leader
This session will discuss how to operate consistently at a strategic level, lead effectively and build a high-performance group.
- Clarifying objectives and priorities: Getting the right things done
- Key competencies for group leadership
- Investing your ‘people’ time for the greatest return
- Motivating independent and skeptical lawyers
- Creating a culture of accountability
- Keeping a strategic focus: Leadership vs. management
- Looking forward on your group’s behalf
Session 2. Fast-Tracking Practice Group Planning and Execution
This session will set forth best practices for an effective, results-driven planning process and the key elements of a clear, achievable group plan.
- Planning in a dynamic market: A 90-day scenario
- Nuts and bolts of a realistic and effective planning process
- Avoiding seven planning pitfalls
- Candidly assessing your competitive capabilities
- Incorporating activities clients care about
- Planning for partner and client succession
- Getting specific about tactics and implementation
Session 3. Putting Clients at the Center of Your Strategy
This session will outline a strategic approach to acquisition, retention and growth of client work – at a profit – through the pursuit of ‘client lock-in.’
- Locking in clients by aligning with their goals
- Building collaborative, knowledge-based relationships
- Market segmentation: Not all clients are equal
- Talking with clients about pricing and value
- Protecting profitability in a client-centric system
- Taking a leadership role with your clients
- Locking out competitors: Your differentiation strategy
Who Should Attend
- Practice Group Leaders
- Practice Group professionals and staff
- Senior Administrators
- Anyone who directs or supports your firm’s practice groups
Thomas S. Clay is a thought-leader on the critical issue of law firm practice group strategy and leadership. With 30 years experience consulting to the legal profession, he is an acknowledged expert on law firm management principles and is a trusted advisor to law firms throughout the United States and Canada.